Police have identified the third suspect in Thursday morning’s armed robbery at a Morganton convenience store.

Stephen Jamal Craig, 18, of Shelby, is considered armed and dangerous after an armed robbery at Speedway convenience store off Exit 105 on Interstate 40, according to a Morganton Department of Public Safety press release. He’s wanted on for kidnapping and armed robbery.

Craig is described as a 5-foot 8-inch black male who weighs about 140 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. Police said not to approach Craig and instead to call local law enforcement or MDPS at 828-437-1211.

Two others already are facing charges in the robbery.

Kamau Jarek Clark, 19, of Shelby, and Darik Montre Williams, 20, of Shelby, both face charges of felony robbery with a dangerous weapon and first-degree kidnapping following the armed robbery.

Three suspects entered the convenience store at around 5 a.m. Thursday. The store clerk had been forced out of the back door of the store and over an embankment at gunpoint, but was not harmed in the robbery, according to the release.

Two of the suspects reportedly stole a truck and led officers on a chase down I-40 to the Mineral Springs Mountain area where they crashed the truck and fled on foot.

Clark was found at around 1:15 p.m. Thursday walking on the side of N.C. 18 South. He originally gave officers a false name.

Clark nodded when asked by a News Herald reporter Friday if he thought this would be his last trip to Morganton.

A manhunt involving multiple agencies ensued Thursday on Mineral Springs Mountain, but it wasn’t until around 1 p.m. Friday that deputies found Williams inside a home at 5313 Mineral Springs Mountain Ave. while they were responding to a breaking and entering call, the release said.

Additional charges are pending against all of the suspects, according to the release. Investigators have made direct links from this case to other armed robberies in Kings Mountain on June 6 and on Tuesday, and an armed robbery in Newton on Wednesday.

Williams told reporters outside the magistrate’s office Friday that he was “innocent” when asked what happened Thursday.

Both Williams and Clark had their bonds set at $500,000 secured. They have court dates set for Monday.

Chrissy Murphy is a staff writer and can be reached at cmurphy@morganton.com or at 828-432-8941. Follow @cmurphyMNH on Twitter.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.

Recommended for you