A small fire in the records pod at Freedom High School sent firefighters and public safety officers into the building Tuesday night.

Firefighters had to pull hose into the school to put out the fire at around 6:30 p.m., said Lt. C. Rudicill with Morganton Department of Public Safety.

It took about two minutes to get the fire out once firefighters got hose into the school and gained access to the records pod, Rudicill said. All fire was contained to the records pod, but the building filled up with smoke when the door was forced open.

No one was injured in the fire, Rudicill said. A couple of computers were damaged by fire, but Rudicill estimated that no more than $8,000 worth of damage was done.

Firefighters still were on scene at around 8:20 p.m. to make sure the building was well ventilated.

The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical, Rudicill said.

“We all leave charges, computers plugged in, you know?” Rudicill said. “Try not to.”

Cheryl Shuffler, public information officer for Burke County Public Schools, confirmed that there would be no delay or cancellation for classes at the school Wednesday.

Chrissy Murphy is a staff writer and can be reached at cmurphy@morganton.com or at 828-432-8941. Follow @cmurphyMNH on Twitter.

Get today’s top stories right in your inbox. Sign up for our daily newsletter.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.